sola – 02April 17, 2007
Touch of the vampire.
A very nice series indeed. Well, there are no vampires after all, but I think “Yakas” will be fine, too. I especially like the growing relationship between Matsuri and Yorito, they just fit so well and it’s so much fun watching them. Best moment for me was when Yorito discovers that Matsuri wasn’t really gone. At the moment she said “Bye Bye” I thought that this is just so plain typical and that the next episode will be the usual one where the protagonists come together again because they can’t face the danger lurking out there alone after all. Well, they surprised me and made me feel very comfortable again, very nicely done.
What I also like is that I’m really interested in the characters and their relationship among each other. To help me remember I’ve put up a little list of the things I wonder about.
– She is a Yaka (Woe of the night), but what exactly does this mean? What other abilities does she have (beside being physical superior and able to alter material)? What other weaknesses (beside sunlight/bright light)?
– Was she always like this or did she became what she is today? How old is she?
– She seems to be used to be hunted, but why is she and by whom? Does she only run all the time or does she fight back sometimes?
– Why would Yorito someday learn to hate her? Does she need to do something cruel to stay alive (like drinking blood)?
– Why was she living in that church, and why does she have a picture of it? Who did this picture and gave it to her?
– Is there a special reason why she is that much interested in the sky?
Yorito & Aono
They are siblings, but behave a bit odd toward each other. Yorito seems to be a bit careless and Aono to be rather cold. On the other hand Aono showed that it is very important to her to see her brother at least on a daily base and Yorito quickly followed her request.
– So what kind of relationship do they actually have and was it always this way?
– Aono doesn’t want the sunlight in her room, is it because of her illness or does it have other reasons? What illness is she suffering? Since when? Does it have something to do with the Yaka, maybe directly with Matsuri?
– What about their parents? When did they die and how?
– Is there a special reason why Yorito is so fond of the sky? Does it have something to do with Aono’s illness?
Mana & Koyori
Well, not much was shown about these two so far, but it is interesting that Koyori just can’t call her sister “sister”.
– Is there something more about this or just because Koyori is so polite? Are they really related by blood?
– Is there a special reason about the politeness of Koyori?
– Why is Koyori caring so much about Aono?
Takeshi & Mayuko
On the first glare they seem to have teamed up to search for Yakas, but they don’t seem to aim for the same goal once they found one. Takeshi did fight Matsuri and tried to kill her but hid this from Mayuko. He didn’t even tell her that he found a Yaka.
– So why is Takeshi hunting Yakas? Is he hunting all Yakas or is he only hunting for Matsuri? If that is true, what did she do to him?
– Is he a human or something else?
– Why doesn’t he tell Mayuko about Matsuri?
– What kind of a relationship does he and Mayuko have?
– Does Mayuko know about Takeshi’s skills?
– Mayuko behavior is quite odd and she sleeps at day. Is she also a Yaka like Matsuri?
– Why does she want to meet a Yaka?
– Why is she sleeping in cardboard boxes?
Well, hopefully there will be some answers (or more interesting questions) in the next episode.